Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Life This Week

I have not been able to stitch near as much as I would like in the past week or two. I was hoping to have more of Sassy done than I do by now. I had actually put in quite a bit of the cloud around her left ear, and then started thinking I may have accidentally 'erased' part of her ear when I was creating the pattern on PCStitch, so, rather than keep going on that part of the pattern, I frogged and then started stitching more around her right eye. I am going to take a closer look at the original download of the picture onto PCStitch before I tackle all sides around her left ear. I would rather be safe than sorry. Part of me doesn't feel like I have done very much, but another part says, "yes you did"! You can definitely see where her right eye will be as well as the top of her head and even the bridge of her nose.

I have the coaster/hot plate for my son and DIL kitted up, but I do not know if I will be able to finish it by Christmas. I may take a break from Sassy after I finish her face, so I can work on the coaster/hot plate. I had originally hoped to get Sassy done by her birthday, December 1, but I doubt that can happen, since that is only 10 days away now. I may shoot for her date of death instead now, January 16.

My husband has not been feeling very well the past week or so. He has Meniere's Disease. It is an inner-ear illness that causes dizziness and disorientation. This is what originally took him out of his job. Anyway, the disease comes in spurts, what we have come to call 'spells'. They have tended to come more severely when the weather does a change. The poor man has been in a spell for basically a week! Can you imagine you world on "washer fast spin" for a week? He says things finally appear better this morning. I am so happy at this news! Each spell takes a little more of his hearing away. He will eventually go completely deaf in the effected ear.

Rachel brought home her mid-quarter report of what her report card would look like if she received it now. She was very happy. At this point, she has straight A's! I have to admit, I was a bit surprised because she keeps telling me that she is struggling in math and is having a hard time understanding it. In the past three days, she was having to show the factors of all the numbers between 1 and 100. She was having to show which numbers are "prime". She had three days because on day one, the teacher asked for 1 through 36; day two, she had to show 37 through 60; day three, 61 through 100. The assignment really frustrated her, but she did get it done. Rachel is in fifth grade.

Sarah's mid-quarter report came in the mail because she is in high school, and they don't pass the reports to the students at that level. Her report showed she is struggling in a couple of her classes. Sarah admitted that she probably needs some tutoring in those classes, biology and algebra, but she thinks she should do it by herself. Knowing Sarah, what it comes down to is she hates asking for help. She told me this morning when I was taking her to school that where she is goofing up in biology is on the exams. In the classwork part of the class, she does fine.

This week, one of her classmates has been helping her study for an exam she missed because of a migraine headache. Sarah actually spent two nights at the classmate's home because Sarah has been helping her get around lately. The poor girl massively hurt her foot on the side of the pool at the YMCA and has been on crutches. She will continue to be on crutches for at least another week. Jack and I are proud of Sarah for stepping in and helping her. It makes us feel like we are doing something right. I know earlier this year I stepped in and helped our good friends in town first when the wife had to have neck surgery and was off work for almost three months and then last month again when the wife's mother became ill and died. I think Sarah realized how important really good friends could be when I did that.

We have finally figured out what we are doing for Thanksgiving next week. Jack will make the turkey here. He is also going to make his famous macaroni salad. We will take those over to our friend's home. They are making a ham, green bean casserole, and I don't know what else. Another friend will bring a pumpkin pie and another dessert. We have not heard anything from our son, Matthew, who lives in Chicago about him coming down on the day. We kind of doubt he will though because he has no car. He sold it earlier this year. Our other son, John, lives in California, so we know he won't be coming. It would be too much of a trip for he and his wife and three young children. John's oldest is 5. The youngest just turned 2.

I have a lump under my right arm which the doctor is calling a boil. She put me on an anti-biotic last week, which she said would help it. Thus far, it doesn't seem any better. As a matter of fact, now it is painful to the touch. Before it wasn't. The lump is literally almost the size of my armpit. Jack said he has never seen a boil that big. I am not done with the medicine yet, though. If it doesn't appear any better when I finish the medicine though, trust me, I will return to the doctor!!

I do not feel bad at all. As a matter of fact I feel pretty good. I was able to get alot accomplished around the house this week. Hope everyone is doing well. If I cannot post again before Thanksgiving, I pray everyone has a great day!


  1. Lots going on in your household! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

  2. WOW, you have a lot going on. I really feel for Sarah, I couldn't do algebra to save me life. I'm excite for you r yunger daughter doing so ell in class. Straight A's aren't easy. I love to watch you put Sassy together. Stitch by stitch she comes more and more alive. It's been a joy to watch from beginning and to the finished end.

  3. I have really enjoyed stitching this one. Sassy was such a neat dog. She still lives in all our hearts. My younger daughter, Rachel, says the project will be given to her because Sassy was HER dog. She knew Sassy her entire life. Tina called us just before she took Sassy to the vet and then again when they got home. She asked me to come over. This was at like 7:30 in the morning. Rachel came over there after school and we all stayed until something like 11:30. Tina had brought Sassy home to die at home because they knew it would happen soon and they wanted her to be where she always was, not a cold vet table. Sassy died two hours after we left. We were all very sad for several days. The major reason I bought PCStich was because I knew Sassy was getting up there and probably wouldn't live too many more years. I wanted to do some sort of tribute to her.

  4. Nice progress, even if you didn't get done as much as you would like. Hope hubby gets better soon and you too. Congrats on the As and good luck studing.

  5. I hope your hubby's spinning stops real soon. I hate that it can come pack at any time without warning. I have loose crystals in my ears but have not been diagnosed with minere's. I have only had 2 spells but they sucked! Hope your meds take care of the "boil". Although it doesn't sound like a typical boil to me. You are making great progress on Sassy.